Prospectus: How To Roleplay
Posted by Nathan P. on July 18, 2007
A Beginners Guide to Roleplaying
- A Brief History of the Hobby
- Definitions of Roleplaying
- Good Terms and Ideas to Know
- What’s In This Book
Picking A Game
- What’s Out There?
- Genre, Style and “Footprint”
- Free Stuff
- Conventions and Low/No Commitment Gaming Gatherings
Creating A Group
- How Many People Do I Need?
- Where Do I Find Them?
- What If None Of Us Know What We’re Doing?
- Do I Need the Same Group Every Time?
- Playing On-Line
- Where Do We Play?
- Talk To Each Other
- Who’s Responsible for the Fun?
- What If We Don’t Have Fun?
- I Want To Change/Leave/Add to the Group
The Game Master
- The Game Master Is Not A Person (He’s A Set of Responsibilities)
- Games With A Game Master
- Games With Distributed Game Mastering
- How The Game Master Contributes to the Fun
Playing A Character
- How Do I Make a Character That Is Fun?
- Do I Need to Play the Same Character All the Time?
- Where Can I Get Inspiration for my Character?
- I Don’t Understand All of These Numbers
- What If I Don’t Like My Friend’s Characters?
- What If I Don’t Like My Character?
- How You Contribute to the Fun
- What’s Shortform Play?
- What Games are Good for Shortform?
- How Do I Get the Most out of Shortform?
Longterm (Campaign) Play
- What’s Longterm Play?
- What Games are Good for Longterm?
- How Do I Get the Most out of Longterm?
- The Internet
- Your Local Library
- The Local Favorite Game Store
- Other Resources